Thursday 9 August 2012

Quiet Space

At a chaplaincy team meeting this week along with the rector and depute rector we addressed the fact that we're not engaging with the kids at the assemblies and discussed various
Different approaches to introducing today's teens to spirituality I vaguely remembered from a readers co Berenice hearing about a school chaplain who'd set up a quiet space within the school with different sensory areas, I pods pebbles for writing on etc, that was the gist of it and it worked a treat, so guess who was appointed to get similar p and running, problem is I can only recall the basics, any bloggers out there know what I'm talking about and can you give me any advice, please.

2 comments:

  1. No experience of this, but I'd say that there has to be some sort of background music which the children won't see as threatening (or rubbish, or old, though I have seen a reflective space filled with teenagers where Gregorian-type chants were the background music). The music sets the feel for the space and, if it's right, means the children don't need to fill the space with their own noise.

    I'd suggest a laberynth. Can weave through chairs or be tape on the ground. Make sure it's well explained, though. The first time I encountered one I had no idea what it was for and dismissed the idea out of had. Another thing I've heard done is a baptising pebbles type thing. That would need led, but the participants look at the flaws in the pebble then wash it in a symbolic washing away of their own flaws. It doesn't work for me, but I know a lot of people who would get a lot from that.

    It may be a bit obvious, but have you tried the power of Google for ideas? Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had aloof on Google, the Anglicans seem to be into this kind of thing, so will try to weed out the rubbish from the do- able, will let you know how it goes, thanks

      Delete